Healthy Living

>> 10.17.2010

I’m always striving to do a better job feeding my children a healthy diet.  I mean, we aren't a strictly Twinkies and cheeseburger family, but I'd love to eliminate most of the processed food items we rely on.  Also I have historically struggled with a sugar and carb addiction (i.e. bread and Twizzlers), and have to make a real effort to incorporate green, leafy veggies in my diet.

My aunt recently recommended a terrific book called Disease-Proof Your Child by Joel Fuhrman, M.D.  Wow! Seriously.  This book is full of worthwhile information and I am anxious to begin trying out new foods and generally making my boys healthier ('tis the season for illnesses).  Truthfully, I know I will not talk my husband into a vegetarian diet.  But, hey, even small, healthy changes help.


Disease-Proof Your Child educates on nutrition, prevention and treatment of childhood illnesses, understanding the causes of illnesses and feeding your family a healthy diet.  The last chapter has recipes and meal schedules to help me get started.  I'm encouraged!

At the same time, we’ve instituted a new budget.  Ugh.  As I'm sure you've noted, eating healthy isn't always the most inexpensive option.  It’s going to be a challenge to stay within the budget and eat healthy, but I think it's worth it!  Although I don't enjoy cooking,  I am learning.  I splurged yesterday... but we had not eaten out in 17 days!  That may not be the record, but it's close.

~ Katrina

Editor's note: Vegetarian meals are a great way to save on the weekly grocery bill.  That said, no, I will not be converting to a vegetarian diet. ---Christian

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP