Eggplant Ideas

>> 8.21.2011


I am experimenting with eggplant.  We are a part of a vegetable co-op this summer so we have been getting our share of eggplant. Even though it's not our favorite vegetable, I can't stand to see any food go to waste.  Especially healthy food.

We tried baba gnoush.  It's a middle eastern dip, similar to hummus but using eggplant instead of chickpeas.  I tried a substitute for tahini paste after failing to find it in the grocery store.  Let me just say that I do not recommend using peanut butter instead of tahini.  The Pioneer Woman was right: "for baba ghanoush, you simply must have tahini."  Christian thought the dip was OK, but I thought it had an unmistakable (possibly overpowering) hint of peanut butter.  I will search harder for the tahini paste next time, perhaps calling ahead. The boys tasted this one, but didn't like it.  They like hummus and they like peanut butter, so I don't get it. :)

A good friend visited recently and told me to try broiling eggplant. Just slice it up about 1/4 inch thick, sprinkle with a little olive oil and your favorite seasonings and broil until tender.  I liked it.  The kids ate it with some hesitation (minor threats involved).  I think you could get a similar result from grilling or roasting.  Roasting seems to be my method of choice for veggies this summer.  I may try this recipe for roasting next.

I saved the best for last.  One of my Facebook friends asked for eggplant recipes this week and got this onehttp://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/ratatouille_la_casablancaise.html, which I gave a shot. Just the name Ratatouille a la Casablancaise made me excited to try it. I had all the fresh produce on hand: eggplant, squash, peppers, tomatoes, garlic.  Quite good!

~ Katrina

P.S.  Years ago, I tried eggplant parmesan and didn't like it.  Does anyone have a tried-and-true recipe to share for eggplant parmesan? Or any other eggplant recipe that isn't mushy or slimy?

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP