Ummm... granola

>> 7.07.2011

Bob's Red Mill Granola, Honey Almond, 18-Ounce Bags (Pack of 4)


Granola.  It makes me smile just to say it.  It reminds me of my mom. It fills a hungry belly.   It's fun to make. It's a healthy snack. It's just plain good.

Everyone should make granola once if only for the experience.  Get the kids involved, too.  It's fun to mix it up with your hands like edible play dough.

My Granola Recipe

1 box oats
1 1/2 cups sliced almonds
1 lb. sesame seeds
1 lb. sunflower seeds
1 lb. unsweetened coconut
1 c. honey
1 c. oil
1 c. water
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. maple flavoring
1 Tbsp. salt
Optional: dried fruit

1.  Combine all ingredients in a very large mixing bowl.
2.  Combine liquids and salt (and chopped dried fruit, if desired); Pour over dry ingredients and mix with hands.
3.  Bake slowly at 275°F until golden brown, stirring often (every 15 minutes or so).
4.  Allow it to cool before placing in a storage container.

You can't mess this up.  I usually leave out sesame seeds, coconut and maple flavoring, adding an extra tablespoon of vanilla.  You can leave out the salt or just put in a small amount.  I simply MUST have dried fruit--dried apricots, cranberries, raisins, pineapple and dates. Dates are our favorite.

Serve with milk or over yogurt or ice cream.  Or, when no one is looking, eat it by the handfuls like Cookie Monster.

Not that I've ever done that.

~Katrina

P.S.  We're reading Little House on the Prairie as a family.  It seems to be age-appropriate for my 7-year-old and somewhat boring to my 4-year-old.  I love the descriptive nature of the narrative.  It also plants little seeds of good manners throughout.  Perhaps we will watch an episode or two from the good old days when we are finished.  I remember thinking Michael Landon was so handsome when I was a little girl. :)

As for me, I am trying to finish Disciplines of a Godly Family, which I started an embarrassingly long time ago.  It is such a good book that maybe it is just as well that I have chewed on small bits at a time.  Right now I'm learning about teaching my children good manners, but I've gleaned much from this book from establishing a family heritage and traditions to praying for my children.  It's a great book full of wholesome advice.  I highly recommend it.

4 comments:

Anonymous August 2, 2011 at 5:44 PM  

YUM, this brings a smile to my face and tummy, too!!

Reiko August 12, 2011 at 10:48 PM  

Thanks for sharing, Trina! Every time you mention good books, I find myself looking for the titles! I read Little House on the Prairie in Japanese when I was a girl. It would be fun to read it again with our children. Should I read it in English this time?? :)

Christian and Katrina August 15, 2011 at 7:26 AM  

Reiko, Sure! Try it in English! :) We have really enjoyed it and have now moved backward in the series to the first book, Little House in the Big Woods. It's even better because Pa tells stories in that one.

Christian and Katrina May 17, 2012 at 12:28 PM  

Oh, I also usually include flax seed in my granola. Pumpkin seeds add nice texture, too.

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP