Lentils and Barley

>> 2.21.2013

I like lentils.  It's one of those foods that gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling.  Must be a fond childhood memory from childhood that I can't quite place... kind of like Dad's homemade ice cream and Mom's warm, homemade bread.  


Back to lentils.  They are high in fiber and a good source of iron, protein and potassium, to name only a few.  There are many more health benefits, but I'm not a nutritionist.  I just like 'em.  (Look up more benefits here.)

It's not pretty, but this is my new favorite stew.  I've never cooked with barley before trying this recipe.  I very much like the taste and texture.



Lentil Barley Stew
(original recipe here)

Ingredients:
1/4 c fat (butter, coconut oil, etc.)
3/4 c celery, chopped
3/4 c onion, diced
6 c water or broth
3/4 c lentils, uncooked
1 qt tomatoes, canned (puree in blender if you don't like chunks)
3/4 c barley, uncooked
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp rosemary
1/4 tsp garlic (or a few shakes, we like a lot of garlic)
1/2 c shredded or diced root vegetable (sweet potato, carrots, etc.)
1 c diced leftover meat, optional (makes my boys happy if I add chicken)

Directions:
1. Saute oil, celery and onion for five minutes or until onion is translucent.  (I like to add minced garlic to the celery and onions.)
2.  Add broth and lentils.  Cook 20 minutes.
3.  Add tomatoes and seasonings.  Simmer an additional 45 minutes.
4. Add veggies and meat (optional).  Simmer an additional 15 minutes or until veggies are tender.

Serves about 6.

Hope you enjoy it, too!
~Katrina

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP